View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 16:58   Link #139
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I'm really not liking how this "super route" turned out, it was just a big mess. There are too many things happening without proper closure or reason for it to transpire.
Well yeah... there are things I like about it, but it's sort of become "super summary" at this point. You get bits and pieces of each plot, but the flow isn't totally convincing, particularly in terms of the timing of events (it's like the plot is on rails), and the build-up for the relationship of each heroine with the protagonist (and the denouement of each of these). I had thought that they were going to focus on maybe two routes with a bit of a third to head towards the ending, but they are still trying to include as many routes as possible all the way to the end, so it's getting to be perhaps a bit overwhelming with all that's going on.

It's hard for me to say if it's really an issue of pacing (the early episodes weren't particularly slow compared to the game; a lot was cut), or if it's just trying to squeeze so much game content into so little time and to do it in a way that has some sort of sense to it (which is tricky since some of this content was intended to be mutually-exclusive). I guess, if you asked me, they spent a lot of time on election mechanics/strategy that could possibly have been summarized, but I think that's also a point of interest that sets this story apart from others in its genre.

At the end of the day... I think it'll be (another) one of those cases where the anime is pretty good, but you're really being encouraged to play the game to see other ways that things can play out. That's okay, and I sort of expect it from every VN adaptation, but my overall preference for the genre is basically to commit to one route, as I think that's more suitable for the time allotment. The approach here is not necessarily bad, but as you say, it inevitably feels somewhat rushed and disjointed.