View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 03:06   Link #676
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
I've read a bit of DenYuuDen before, and I quite liked it myself! I'm just scared at how many books there are of DenYuuDen out there. I'm definitely going to give this one a shot (and I must thank you profusely for having brought it back to my attention) but that's going to be after I scrounge up enough money to buy them all. Itsuten...it sounds interesting, but personally speaking I'm rather tired of stories taking place in high school settings.
Itsuten is high school and has some romance. But its not your everyday high school setting. Just like Denyuuden, it can get pretty dark and depressing at times. In fact, they are actually pretty similar, just that the execution is somewhat different. Starting from volume 6 of Itsuten, pretty much every volume ends with a mind-f*** twist and makes me climax in my mind. But overall, I still prefer Denyuuden characters because they are extremely super duper well fleshed out with the heaps of supplementary material and side stories: everybody has a story to tell. And you feel bad even for the 'evil' 'antagonistic' characters. Pretty much both the worlds in DYD and Itsuten are f**ked, so everyone's f**ked, but based on my understanding on Kagami's intentions, they should have happy endings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I think so, but IIRC his power went out of control once in early volumes. I haven't read that far because I can't stand keep seeing bad things happen toward the protagonist(same reason I can't stand denyuuden lol)
Well, since the theme is about 'overcoming despair', you can't have good things happening to the characters (not just the protagonist) without them going through crazy amounts of shit first.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote