View Single Post
Old 2009-03-09, 22:53   Link #258
Icehawk

Finally got around to completing this series. It's been an interesting journey following the Nanoha story, and I will be missing it. I liked how this one advanced the time frame into the beginning of Nanoha's adult life and brought in some interesting new characters and further developed the lore. In the end though, I give it an 8 on this rating, but it actually feels better to give it more of a 7.8 or so as it does have some noticeable issues that keep it from being a top tier series IMHO.

The main gripes I have with the show are that they almost had too many characters and weren't able to balance them all properly. The pacing of the show really suffered at times and so there was alot of missed potential on the character development front with some of the secondary ones. This isn't really suprising, and they could have done alot worse, but it still drags the series down more than it should. As well, being a NanoFate supporter, I would have preferred to see more development on that side of things, but the creators have decided to stick to the "mindless middle" and leave it up to us to bitchfight over the issue.

On the matter of Jail Scaglietti, he was a good villain, but I disliked how they had go and make him an overtly "mad scientist" type so much, it just really felt forced and unnecessary. I prefer my villains when they are consistantly cool and calculating untill the end, untill they finally realize they were either dead wrong or when they realize they are finally about to get their ass handed to them on a silver platter, pretty much like Quattro did

But anyways, with the new "4th season" being constrained to a manga format it seems, I'm a little dissappointed. I dont usually have the will to bother following scanlations and so I don't know if I will continue with the story when that finally comes around, but we'll see I guess, the Nanoha-verse is still a fun and interesting one to play in