View Single Post
Old 2010-03-23, 17:19   Link #1058
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Soldiers who are overly stressed out and mentally fatigued due to being required to live a double life are far more likely to get themselves and their entire units killed.

Sorry, but your reasoning fails. Even if your reasoning was accurate (which it is not, the rule is borne from hateful discrimination and not common sense), then soldiers who were outed would not be mistreated, but simply given a neutral or even an honorable discharge.

What actually happens is much worse.
Sorry... how does my reasoning fail? You have given no arguments in support of this accusation. Your response is full of profanity and knee-jerk responses. I do not support your point of view, therefore I am not capable of reason and I am discriminating? To stoop to a personal attack is perhaps indicative that your argument does not hold enough water.

37% of the military said they were opposed to serving with openly gay men and women in a 2006 Zogby International poll. 48% of the US service people said they felt that their unit morale would fall if they were made to serve with openly gay men and women in the same poll. These are facts. Am I stretching it to say that a large portion of the US military does not want to see openly gay men or women serve with them? I don't think so.

How is my reasoning born from hateful discrimination and not common sense? Soldiers who are outed ARE given a general discharge. The number of these people is approximately 600 or so every year. Yes, they are judged to be disruptive to the army because they are driving home divisions in the psyche of the army as polls suggest. To argue that they deserve an honorable discharge would be a travesty to all those who actually earned that distinction and would be a great example of reverse discrimination.

To judge the military and question military morals, ethics, and values with a civilian mindset is simply invalid. To put it in perspective, in our world, murder is a crime something to be prosecuted over. In a soldier's world, if he shoots an enemy combatant, what has he done? It's still murder, but he is doing his duty. He is to be congratulated and he is definitely not going to be prosecuted for it. It stands to reason that their priorities may be just a LITTLE different, trying to judge the military with civilian values is just flat out invalid.

Oh and you don't have to worry about the draft, not because you are a homosexual, because the last time I checked, the military was not conscripting and they haven't done so for at least 20 years!

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote