Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 2008-07-22, 01:03   Link #273
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
And you got it wrong i dont smoke on a daily bases (social smoker), with no physical body craving through out the week. I dont feel a problem but then again i have 1st hand experience. I'm not saying you have smoke to be fully verse in this subject matter but atleast have the courtesy to understand both sides.
Congratulations?

Other things are addictive so it is okay? Not 100% of people get addicted so it is okay? Other things are bad besides smoking, so it is okay? This is such terrible logic. People are fighting these other bad things all the time, people try to help others break and stay away from some of these psychological addictions, and for goodness sakes... a majority of smokers are addicted. It is a very real problem.

Quote:
Overall, over 60% of ever daily smokers met strict diagnostic criteria for having become nicotine dependent. But almost all smokers had experienced at least one symptom of nicotine dependence. For example, 97% of “dependent” smokers had experienced difficulty cutting down their cigarette consumption, as had 72% of “non-dependent” smokers. The authors acknowledged that the differences in dependence between these two groups may be more quantitative rather than qualitative. The authors also acknowledged that certain co-occurring factors appear to make it more likely that a smoker will bcome dependent. An example they provided was a history of major depression, which is associated with approximately 100% nicotine dependence among heavy smokers.
Here is a link to that...
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote