View Single Post
Old 2012-09-28, 13:01   Link #825
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Meanwhile, back in Science World, people know that those techniques are not only worthless but provide corrupted data that actually damages the quality of the overall information field. It opens up legal challenges and it puts our own personnel at higher risk in a "race to the bottom".
Hm, I think I'm from Science World -- and I'd still be the first to admit that there are weaknesses to relying on academic studies. My fiance has an MA and some of my friends have PhDs. I've sat in on thesis discussions. I've seen the academic review process. It's not perfect. That being said, I do believe they are a step-wise means of adding to the human body of knowledge.

One issue regarding studies of the effectiveness of torture is that the available research data-sets are skewed due to self-disclosure issues. I believe one particular issue that has been raised by researchers themselves is that the topic by nature tends to be secretive and since proper research studies need the consent of those involved, there is a natural skew and bias towards one result.

Setting aside torture as a means of retrieving information .. it has been established that torture/blackmail/etc is an excellent method with which to induce "behaviour" if not "information" that the coercer is seeking. So what about if it's use to create desired results vs. just retrieving information? I'm also not sure how as a population condemning torture but turning a blind eye and condoning supporting tyrants and despots to suppress enemy nations or terrorist organizations works..

Personally, I think the "race to the bottom" is a myth, we all already have plenty of blood on our hands whether we admit it or not. Would you pay a heinous warlord to suppress a population/mob that is frothing at the mouth to burn and pillage your city? See this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...37#post4351837