View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 07:29   Link #94
Paradoxine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
As I've had in my signature for years: Gifted... or Cursed?

When it comes to being immortal, there's only two possible ways to live forever (and we're going by the definition that you don't age and can't be killed by anything): to be able to break every bond you make, and also have a reason for being immortal, and preferably one other than "lust for power and ultimate control of *insert land, world, universe, etc. here*"..........

......Anyways, that's my two cents... otherwise, with immortality, you end up like the MC from World Destruction

Spoiler for World Destruction/Sands of Destruction:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
@Magin

There's definitely more than than just two ways to live forever.........

...I would love to observe the universe and learn from it. And like the spiritual growth Sugetsu was talking about, learning about the nature of the universe is probably my way of reaching spiritual bliss.
I find the idea of memory loss interesting. It's one of the few ways I've been considering since creating this thread. It seems like the easiest way to remain sane is to continue to have a 'human' memory. If you have some sort of perfect memory, It could all get too much eventually, while if you have what is equivalent to a toddler's memory of what happened 1000 years ago, you may be able to continue your existence happily or maybe just sanely for at least a far longer time period.

In any case, I agree with C.A. in that there are definitely more than two ways to live forever. Although I don't necessarily see how observing the universe for all time is a viable way, unless you abandon most of the thing's which would classify us as human. Perception of time comes into play here, If a millennium becomes equivalent to a few weeks for you, the universe would seem fantastically alive. Just observing the intricate orbit of the planets would appear to you as a continuous clockwork on a truly astronomical scale. I could be wrong of course and I wouldn't mind fleshing it out a bit more so I can see where you're coming from.

To everyone else: Thanks for the replies so far, this is my first thread and It's nice to see such a great discussion.
Paradoxine is offline   Reply With Quote