View Single Post
Old 2003-11-19, 03:26   Link #7
Anlushac11

Cool

Best current tank for economy and costs?

I really like the Abrahms but I have to go with the Leopard II. Which is similar to the tanks seen in End of Evangelion. See theres the anime link in the post.

And the Mobile Protected Gun System which was intended to replace the M551 Sheridan has been cancelled due to budget costs.

What gets me is that the US Army wanted a new APC. They were going to cooperate on a design. Marines chose the MOWAG Piranha. US Army says no. Spends countless hundreds of millions of dollars to build hte Bradley IFV...which doesnt meet any of the original design requirements. And now instead of a 16 ton APC that was cheap and mobile the Army has a overpriced, inadequate 35ton medium tank capable of hauling troops. And now the US Army wants to put a 50mm gun on it. Maybe they should just rename it Sherman.

My favorite tank of WW2 was the Panzerkampfwagen V Ausf G Panther. It was the pioneer of what we call today the Main Battle Tank. It was the first tank to combine all the qualities we see today in one chassis.

The kicker is now the US Army has decided they need a lightweight cheap APC for scouting and urban combat and picked the LAV Gen-III, aka The Stryker. A VERSION OF THE LAV-25 THEY TURNED DOWN OVER 10 YEARS AGO!!!

I dont think the large mecha like seen in Gundam, Robotech, and Battletech will ever be really popular. They are too big to hide and even stand off weapons and laser guided bombs would be easy to target them.

I think if they do build anything similar to mecha it will be about the size seen in Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (Bonta-kun), Heavy gear(the computer game), and Battletech( Elementals body armor)
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote