View Single Post
Old 2009-03-12, 21:48   Link #90
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Oh and like Myssa mentioned, just because the ending followed the games reward ending doesn't automatically mean that it's okay. Unless we were to assume that the games reward ending is entirely flawless, which I submit it wasn't. Of course this means any gripes I have rest entirely with Jun Maeda and not Kyoani's staff who were more or less just doing their jobs and trying not to get firebombed by die-hard Maeda fans over in Japan. In their case it's a bit of a catch-22.
It's really because, had CLANNAD been a grounded-in-realism print novel, the ending as given would have been hard to rationalize, given the build up that preceded it. If one dismissed the magical shenanigans connected to the town, a good writer could have just ended the story with the death of Ushio and Tomoya, or heck, just cut the story off at episode 18. The Emil Zola end, which Sheba detests, would have been depressing, but at least it built on what came before it. Plus, it would be more real.

However, as I stress always, this is JUN MAEDA we're talking about here. His scenarios will NEVER be completely grounded in realism, nor will they follow any expected genre conventions, all in the name of eliciting extreme emotional responses.