View Single Post
Old 2012-03-31, 14:03   Link #77
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Anime like Cowboy Bebop and Baccano has such a stylish pilot episode and pretty much keep the same momentum for pretty much the whole duration of the series, those sorts of anime have easy time getting the massive attention. For me generally I'm not too fond of those kinds of anime save for a chosen few. It may sound like generalisation but those anime with impressive pilot episode are willing to sacrifice the plot to make it all sensational and stylish or very appealing to the mass. They don't feel that genuine or heartfelt enough that they don't make much impressions on me.
This is not necessarily true. I don't see why you can't have an impressive pilot and have the rest of the series be awesome as well.

Quote:
On the other hand anime that is not too impressive at first tend to take the audience seriously and develop the characters with the real flaws. At the end, all that development pays off and actually makes a lot of impact, it gives me some sort of haunting or hollow feeling or warm feeling depending on how it ends. Texhnolyze is one perfect example for above description. It was the hardest anime to get into because there was hardly any dialogue, the atmosphere throughout the series was dark and depressing and every characters were solemn, stern and cold even the female characters. Once it reaches the climax, it gave me all sorts of emotion.
Again, this is not necessarily true - it possible the anime will suck all the way to the end.

I don't see why you can't grab and hold the attention of the audience while doing proper character set up. It all depends on the skills of the writers and director.

It's a false dichotomy.