View Single Post
Old 2007-06-22, 14:40   Link #299
Jimmy C

Speaking of the arc-en-ciel, it has some important clues to the TSAB's tech-level to me. They have the ability to either generate unlimited amounts of magical energy like we can generate electricity, or they can convert other forms of energy into magical energy. The only other way to power it up to such levels would be to have an army of mages dump their power into it before firing. And that to me doesn't seem to be what was implied in A's.
And if they can generate that much magical energy for a canon, they can potentially generate tiny amounts for other purposes.
For example, pump that energy into a cylinder to make it spin, and you have the core of a motor, a magically-powered motor. Just look how ubiquitous motors are in our civilization and you have an idea how important this could be for them.
Another example, imagine a 'T' junction. What if a magical current flowing through the column can change the size of the current flowing through the bar. That's how a transistor works, the fundamental building block of modern computers.
I think it's possible that everything we see in the TSAB and it's administered world that uses energy actually uses magical energy.
But if that's the case, the way mages fight is dowright primitive in comparison.