View Single Post
Old 2011-01-25, 03:18   Link #21693
Dr. Akagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post

I see no spittle in my face.
I wish I could be that forgiving.
Quote:
I'm saying, why not an evil twin at this point? Ryukishi spat in our faces. I can't trust him to not be lying to me (although it's more I suspect he didn't actually have answers to give anyone, not that he just didn't feel like revealing any). He asked me to trust him, I did, he pulled third grade plot concepts on me. He put a unicycle juggler at the end of Citizen Kane. So why the heck not Eeeeeevil Battler!!!?
After Ep 8, I’m afraid anything goes indeed. And that’s because

/quote/ Most of the game's content is made up and irrelevant. The author's self-insert Mary Sue won the game. Who reads it as a mystery is trolled by it not being one, who reads it as fantasy is trolled by metaworld not existing, who tries to accept both is trolled twice. The whole thing is strange as hell. Plot holes everywhere, like he didn't finish in time or something.
For example, all the stuff with Yasu, Jessica, George, all of the potential for exploring Kyrie and Rudolf's motivation, stuff that Umineko needed to end well, was completely discarded.

I had taken into account the motivations of every character, and basically this episode said FUCK YOU THEY WERE RED HERRINGS.

The very nature of Yasu NECESSITATES explanations of Jessica, George, and the servants motives, and yet instead of taking advantage of the thousands of ways in which he could have done something cool with the varying issues of the family, he goes with the most mundane motive and the most clichéd plot device.

This is a clueless mystery. Which would be fine, if Ryu didn't spend 7 episodes acting like everything would come together in some way.

Bern was basically right all along, you can't even blame her for ridiculing the whole thing. /unquote/

So, basically, R07 left two choices for you: to play the “draw your own conclusions” game, which roughly translates to “eat up that shite, pigs/goats, and ask for seconds”, or to try salvaging whatever is salvageable from that ambiguous mess and come up with your own “best fit” solution. I prefer the latter. I’ll have my proper mystery ending irregardless of whether R07 would be so kind as to provide one (or, more realistically, if he bothered to prepare one in the first place). This is a matter of principle and taste, really, and I’ll uphold mine.

As things stand now, I prefer “Battler is the R-prime” culprit because it's the best I can come up with from what I’m given. But it may be space aliens or Bigfoot tomorrow, if new information comes up that somehow supports that better. I don’t even have to try that hard, as long as it gives Umineko proper closure, hell, any closure. The people who see the desire for closure as something unnatural baffle me, nor do I see any obligation to prove anything to people like that. This is not my problem. That was/is R07 problem all along.

Death and its implications as viewed by the Umineko No Naku Koro Ni characters.
Dr. Akagi is offline   Reply With Quote