View Single Post
Old 2012-01-26, 23:02   Link #995
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
In the end, I think Kubo had all the proper elements in place to have Aizen lose in a way that felt *more* plausible--he just didn't take advantage of these things at all. For instance, we all knew Ichigo was going to eventually conquer his hollow side and get much stronger for it. But Kubo didn't have to make him THAT strong. Had he shown up to the final battle on par with Aizen (or perhaps a little weaker), then it would've felt much more believable.
It's basically a given that when the hero gains new powers it has to be shown how awesome they are. When Ichigo got bankai he immediately got a upper hand against Byakuya. When he got control of the mask, he started dominating Grimmjow in their fight (albeit GJ was minus an arm). I wasn't really surprised when Ichigo showed up from his training far more powerful than Aizen. However, there's usually a see-saw type deal w/ these things--either the hero somehow powers down and loses his advantage or the opponent reveals an ace in their sleeve and powers up to match the hero.

Kubo usually goes the former route and has Ichigo lose his power at inopportune times. I was expecting him to do something similar again when Mugetsu failed. It could've been a great twist... Ichigo going from having the fight in the bag to being nearly powerless in an instant. Having nothing but guts and a prayer against an Aizen who was maybe weakened from battle, but still a crazy strong motherf**ker.

But no, Urahara swooped in and handled everything with magic.

And that's where things ultimately failed for me. As powerful as Ichigo was, he still managed to be utterly ineffective against Aizen. Really, he was just a distraction until Urahara could save the day. That's no treatment for the main character.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote