View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 23:30   Link #51
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My feeling is that she should be the one dumping him, not the other way around - he's been giving off wolf vibes for a while.
I can see that point of view as well. He's pretty much a cipher as a character; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, though as you say he may not deserve it. I like Yuuko; I'll be sad if she gets hurt.

Quote:
I think this show is deeper than you might think. It touches on some edgy issues - child abuse, pacifism during WW II, the student protest movement - but because the focus is very much on the daily struggles of working class Edoites, it doesn't pass any judgement. It just depicts this events strictly in terms of how they impact daily life.
I've noticed that, too. It does seem a more complex depiction of daily life in 1964 than you'd think at first glance. It could have been just a white-washed portrayal full of phony sentimentality, but it's actually got a pretty solid, and rather dark, core.

I felt bad for Kouhei in this episode because I know how easy it is for kids to imagine that they're the cause of adults' problems. The preview suggests Kouhei may find himself in the same position again in the next episode. I happened to re-watch the episode of Usagi Drop where Daikichi and Rin visit his parents a few months after her father's death. Daikichi understood how Rin saw herself as the cause for the family's conflict after the funeral. (In some ways that wasn't an incorrect perception, either.) Episode two of Bartender portrays how this kind of internalized self-blame can persist into adulthood. Though she's in her twenties, Miwa feels personally responsible for the fact that her father and grandfather never reconciled because she broke a present her father bought for his father when she was four.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-13 at 00:44.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote