View Single Post
Old 2012-09-05, 02:41   Link #30369
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
We're saying that nothing makes Ryukishi's offered reasoning more valid than KnowNoMore's bullshit. It's a complete guessing game because Ryukishi has no rules that he himself does not contradict in Umineko...meaning the game is broken, and every answer is valid and there are no wrong answers.

You can just go with Ryukishi's explanation, if you don't mind that it's incomplete, poorly explained/demonstrated, and possibly even logically incoherent. Even if it wasn't any of those things, even if his answer was 'perfect', it still doesn't mean anything because Ryukishi invoked Death of the Author multiple times, meaning he willingly gave up his legitimacy as a creator and says 'your opinions are equivalent to mine own'.

Which is fine in of itself, except this is supposed to be a battle between us and him...and there's no answer key. And he has no faith in his own answer and seemingly no respect in the fanbase's.
Ryukishi's explanation is the obvious explanation, the only thing that is not obvious are some minor details that don't really need to be explained. Like Genji's past because it doesn't have anything to do with Yasu's story.

The reason you don't follow those explanations is because you're unsatisfied with them. You think those explanations are dumb so you create fanfiction, an alternate theory from the obvious one. Then you fill fake plotholes, that you created yourselves, because they don't fit with how your fanfiction works. You're not even open to the possibility that his solution could be true. And you get offended whenever someone brings up personality death. You create alternate theories and change it to things like "identity death" so it makes sense to you. When that's not what it is.

He didn't get rid of his creative rights and hand them over to you. He's saying "if you don't like my answer, and you think it's dumb, feel free to write your own, because you're going to do it anyway"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryukishi07
K Maybe because no matter how much Ange pursued the truth, she couldn’t get a hold of it.

R I see. But as long as Ange does not accept it, it will never be enough to become the truth. I had this feeling even back then when I did Higurashi, but most people are just pretending to search after the truth, when in reality they are just expecting the truth they pictured themselves and won’t waver from that. They just want to be told the truth that they are expecting. If this were a zombie flick, most people would expect a result like, „because a combat bacteria made by the military leaked out, people are turning into zombies.“. That is why they are watching that piece while thinking „I wonder when the military will appear“ or „the special unit will go and steal the secret material“. And so these people would not be satisfied with a result that „corpses revived due to irregular electric waves out of space“.

K That is another technique, to create a work meeting those expectations, but Umineko wasn’t done like this, right?!

R Exactly.

link
And he didn't spell it out because he didn't want the internet to be used like an answer key. He wanted people to enjoy reading the story without being spoiled. He wanted people to reason out his answer on their own. But if you don't like it? You can lie to yourselves and believe whatever you want. It's not the truth, but it's what's you believe is true.

The answer still isn't any less obvious. The culprit is Yasu. Touya is Battler. And apparently Ange represents you, the reader.

Last edited by Judoh; 2012-09-05 at 02:57.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote