View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 20:36   Link #138
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
This. This is the point for me. But how would you call this? In my book this is what I call involution (as contrary of evolution). And this is what I find horrifying of the whole thing. At this point I don't care much of the means, but of the consequences of this process. What would we/they be without that thing that you call "burden"? Animals only worry about their own personal needs, so my question is, would we/they be still humans? The cost is not simply human dignity, but humanity (or part of it at least). More you think and more you will think, as much as less you think and less you will think. In PP world we are in the latter case.
Anyways, I'm not saying that they should discard the Sybil system as a whole, but, for instance, they could keep it only for crime prevention.
Yes, but the cultural meme of "shut up and accept the way things are" has been around forever. Those who challenge it died and were marginalized, but change always happens because enough people wake up to challenge it. I don't know. We are pretty much watching an anime whose main characters find themselves on the wrong side of history.