View Single Post
Old 2013-08-11, 19:53   Link #2167
Warm Mist

Kyoani doesn't hire freelancers, much less for an important position like the storyboard. You'll have to hope Ando retires from the industry at large and goes to work leisurely at Kyoani if you want the guy storyboarding their shows.

Besides that, action choreography is defined in the layout, which I'm pretty sure is always done by the animator in charge of the cut over at Kyoani. Sure, the enshutsu and even the overall director might correct it a bit, but if the layout is plain uninteresting there isn't much you can do with it as a key animator.
I think they still have a long way to go in terms of having interesting action choreography. Chuu2 was an attempt, but the fights there were still plagued with unnatural close-ups and obtrusive camera angles, there wasn't much room to let the animation develop.

The fight in Clannad AS episode 8 is probably the best example of a well-done fight in a Kyoani show. It shows a good understanding of how to place and manipulate the "camera", and the storyboard is restrained enough to let the animator do their thing while also maintaining a bit of dynamism. There's still a weird tracking shot IIRC, but it's much better than the stuff in Chuu2 IMO.
Coincidentally, the episode was storyboarded and directed by Ishidate, Kyokai's series director. He probably played a big part in that action scene, although I think the key animator for it was Nao Naitou.