Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-20, 22:10   Link #5521
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
-off to take care of some household chores as he just got home from work-
trying to be funny, it's your choice to have a job that doesn't allow access to computers. ZOMG you work as if that makes your point any more valid than mine or makes my point invalid.

Also I didn't even mention the second amendment so if you think the 1st amendment is the second amendment masquerading as the freedom to speech then I have no understanding to why you brought up the second amendment.

Quote:
An October 2001 memo from John Yoo, for example, states that the “Fourth Amendment would not apply” for domestic military operations. The memo also restricted basic First Amendment rights:

In perhaps the most surprising assertion, the Oct. 23, 2001, memo suggested the president could even suspend press freedoms if he concluded it was necessary to wage the war on terror. “First Amendment speech and press rights may also be subordinated to the overriding need to wage war successfully,” Yoo wrote in the memo entitled “Authority for Use of Military Force to Combat Terrorist Activity Within the United States.”
In the name of fighting terrorism, the fear doctrine has started to erode our civil liberties. Not to mention the unwarranted tapping and surveillance which in essence is also an attempt to control free speech by turning anything you say into evidence of your possible guilt.