View Single Post
Old 2010-06-16, 21:24   Link #11157
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
And this brings up another sensitive topic. Why does the Rokkenjima accident have to do with Battler's sin? Why does everyone die because he made a promise? We have enough trouble explaining the murders with his sin how does an explosion fit into that?
  • Because of your sin, people die.
  • Due to your sin, a great many humans on this island die.
  • No one escapes, all die.

The only explanations I can come up with are

1. He's cursed by something supernatural
2. the person he sinned against turned (one or more people) suicidal.
Or, you could go for a more complicated explanation, like the person who he broke a promise to, his sin, fell into despair after that, becoming a miserable, hopeless being.
Solving the Epitaph does not grant the family survival from the explosion. However, Battler realising his sin does. In doing so, he shoulders responsiblity for his sin and the well-being of the family, essentially, becoming the next head.
I think how Battler inherits Beatrice's title after he arrives at the truth in Episode 5 is supposed to represent a similar sequence of events that will proceed if he ever realizes his sin in-game. Beatrice is sort of a temporary head while Kinzo is dead and the new head hasn't taken their place yet, it seems. So him inheriting her title is similar to him inheriting the title of Ushiromiya family head.
But, since he has never realized his sin in-game, we get the endgame explosion each Episode.
I'm getting a feeling now that the promise is something more that the simple Pony Theory. We know the adults always got particularily vicious around the conference, I'm pretty sure even Battler remembered that from six years ago. So maybe the promise went something like this.
After a particularily painful arguement between the adults, Shannon/Jessica ran off in tears, upset at the corruption of the parents, or in Shannon's case, maybe a bit too much bullying. Battler, on close terms with both of them, to a point where it's likely there's some crushes flying around, goes to try and comfort them. In his male stupidity, he makes the promise to them that he'll come and become the next head of the family, and fix everyone's stupid problems once and for all.
But as we know, Battler never honours the promise he makes. So this causes Shannon or Jessica to come to believe that there is no saving the family from it's corruption.
What are your thoughts?
Raiza Sunozaki is offline   Reply With Quote