View Single Post
Old 2008-06-06, 20:06   Link #153
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Look at the stuff in episode 10 Ranka found out about Alto, him being with Sheryl a lot, his past acting, she doesn't really know much about him and at the moment it's closer to a high school girl crush. This isn't the formula for a winner in a Kawamori show I'll tell you now... though I expect things to change.

Sheryl otoh gets Alto on the "why do we fly/sing level" and her words about Destiny Alto mimicked when he told Ozma he wanted to join SMS. She also understands him on the acting part since she's been a star for a few years now while Ranka is just starting up right now.

Also while Ranka may be the lead female Sheryl isn't exactly her Siesta to Ranka's Louise, or her Yoshida compared to Ranka's Shana etc. I personally doubt whoever is more important to the plot is going to also win the romantic stakes. Ranka and Sheryl are both very even, every episode that has focused on the other more has had undertones for the other.
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS. I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush. There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.

Finally, I don't agree with other comments that Ranka is a "shallow" character--she's not just a moeblob--her acting ability certainly showed as much. Alto's philosophy about acting all rests on emotional awareness and empathy, and Ranka absorbed that to such an extent she couldn't play Mao's role until she saw Sheryl steal that kiss. And once she started *acting*, she lost all the awkwardness and timidity that sometimes marks her character. That empathy may be important for a character like Alto, so beset by more adolescent angst than usual due to his family history. And we've seen her stand up to Ozma on the whole singing issue.

Anyhow, I do agree with you that both female characters are *very* even, which is why this is a very good triangle. There's real uncertainty about pretty much everything; I still find Ranka way too charming, but Sheryl's character certainly has its strong points. It'll be interesting to see how they do things in the next ep. My guess is that we'll start to see Ranka being much more assertive, although that may or may not mean her "winning" in the end. But I think she's admitted to herself what she feels for Alto (comparing herself to Mao indicates that), while strangely enough, Sheryl may NOT have done that--Sheryl denying the importance of that kiss may indicate that. And Alto of course is a complete meathead when it comes to this sort of thing.