View Single Post
Old 2009-07-16, 22:53   Link #106
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Okay, but I've always thought that the fantasy part was a sort of way to enhance the slice of life genre, you know to, like, help Tomoya and Nagisa develop. Act as a sort of thought experiment.
You're making things more difficult for yourself here. Slice of Life is exactly what the name implies, elements in the plot that shows us the everyday life. Fantasy is fictional and just stuff that doesn't happen in real life (e.g. - Miracles, IW, etc.) I can't see how Fantasy enhances Slice of Life since they completely contradict each other. Still, let's not continue this part of the discussion because we don't control the genres of the show. So let's focus on the more significant aspects, shall we?

Quote:
Okay, this I understand. Be more specific about the miracle. In what way does the miracle allow development to occur? In what way does it add to the plot besides resolving it? What does it teach us? How did the miracle allow Tomoya or Nagisa develop that couldn't have happened if it had been any other way?
/facepalm

I'm sorry but could you re-read my post again because the answers to your questions are right there. I'll answer all your questions with one response again but before I do, let's clarify something here. Nagisa's development halted in episode 16 when she died so we can't really say that she had development after the miracle considering she's the reason that there needed to be one.

Again, Tomoya ignored his daughter for 4 of 5 years and turned to smoking, drinking and gambling during that time. He didn't realize that Nagisa wasn't the only person in his family. There was Ushio who needed his guidance and love. The whole point of the miracle was to teach Tomoya what it takes to be a father and at the same time to forgive his own father for the mistakes he made because Tomoya himself couldn't do any better when placed in the same position as his father. If there were no miracle, then we would not have gotten any development considering Tomoya just collapsed alongside his daughter in the snow and died. Even this "miracle" coincides with the family theme.

Quote:
Oi! Proto said it was "not a slice of life by any strech of the imagination". That's what she said damn it.

Btw, do you know how to make animated avatars?
I didn't actually read Proto's post. I'm not exactly sure what Proto meant but in my opinion, it does contain Slice of Life elements but it's definitely not the only genre within this series.

No, I actually don't make avatars or sigs, but there is a very useful thread in this sub-forum where you can request an avatar or request so you should use that if you don't know someone that can make you one.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote