View Single Post
Old 2012-10-26, 18:53   Link #1339
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

It's also what I didn't like about the first episode. Things seemed way too straight forward: The System is bad and has to be over thrown.
What was shown in episodes two and three that makes the System look better to you?

As I wrote before, I think Gen has done just about everything he can to make the system look bad, short of making it cartoonish. If the system was intended to be ambiguous, I'd expect to see a couple more clear-cut positive outcomes of it to balance things out. Such balance is lacking, imo, so...

Personally, I think it's possible that Gen is aiming for Orwell-esque social commentary here.

There's many possible themes that I can already see here:

1. There are limits to how far humanity should progress in a technocratic direction.

2. Humans can be too trusting of machines or systems, and become overly complacent when it comes to practicing personal judgement.

3. Getting "tough on crime" isn't always the best answer to crime. Sometimes it's better to understand the root causes of crime (some of which are due to societal or systematic flaws), and to work to correct those root causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Well, regardless of what the dominator/Sibyl System decides as the best course of action, the people still has the final say in the matter (and exactly what the supervision alludes to in this episode).

Being treated like crap because of being labelled a latent criminal isn't something the system suggests, it only suggests to keep an eye out on them.
How do you know that? Seriously, what particular scene or character quote makes you think this?

Maybe I missed something, but from what I can tell, it seems entirely possible that there's a highly advanced AI system which has been designed to carefully chart and limit the course of each human's life within the world of Psycho-Pass. Many of its "suggestions" may well be hard-and-fast "law". For example, only those with high potential for multiple disciplines, such as Akane, seem to have much flexibility when it comes to determining their course in life.

Now, of course, you can only blame an AI system so much because it was ultimately designed by humans (or a human, at least). Nonetheless, it's not hard to conceive of an AI that acts as a virtually unquestioned societal Supervisor. For all we know, the Sibyl System may be exactly that (and in fact, the way the characters talk about Sibyl suggests to me that this is what it is).

Quote:
Computers lack empathy, so the people can still take whatever action at their own disgression, like Akane intervening in the situation in ep 1. Akane was then asked to explain her actions, not locked up for not listening to Sibyl.
A couple points:

1. There have been AIs in fiction that were capable of emotion. Data and Lore of Star Trek are prominent examples here.

2. Even if Sibyl lacks empathy, maybe people themselves just don't care. Or, in fact, that might be part of the appeal of Sibyl to some folks. In real life, a lot of people think that judges tend to be too lenient when passing out sentences to convicted criminals (and in fairness, there are definitely cases where I can see why people would think that). I can see many people thinking "Finally, a computerized judge that won't be swayed by some bleeding-heart sob story; finally, criminals will get the sentences that they deserve".

As for Akane not being locked up, maybe the system gives some leeway for raw rookies. Or maybe those with high potential are given certain allowances that others aren't (notice how Shinya's home doesn't seem to have the same neat holographic technology that Akane's does - Is that because Shinya doesn't want it, or is that because the system doesn't deem Shinya as worthy of the same benefits that Akane enjoys?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
What I find interesting is that PP world is not just-another-dystopian-world, I mean, it seems to be not a consequence of some big war or catastrophe, but "just" of the evolution. Nothing seems to have been really imposed. The aspects described seems to be a sort natural evolution of that undetermined factors becoming determined. how would humanity adapt to it? Apparently loosing its humanity. And it doesn't seems to matter if you are at the top of the hierarchy or at the bottom of it. For these reasons I find this world a bit more creepy than a totalitarian world or whatever where laws are imposed. In this world are not, they seems to be accepted. And for the same reason I'm less judgmental than I would be toward the characters and their behaviors.
What I'm trying to say it's that I find this show intriguing
I agree with all of this.

Psycho-Pass presents a world that's creepy precisely because it's not that hard to see how a certain technocratic vision, and a couple believable technological advancements, could take us from where we are now to what the world is like in Psycho-Pass. Like you said, nothing all that dramatic (like a nuclear world war, or something like Skynet from the Terminator movies) would be necessary for a world like Psycho-Pass' to come into existence.

The best dsytopian or cyberpunk fiction puts forwards worlds that feel like they could be just around the corner of where we are now, which is what makes them so chilling and intriguing. I view them as compelling cautionary tales of what can become of humanity if we aren't careful.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-10-26 at 19:04.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote