View Single Post
Old 2012-10-28, 20:03   Link #439
ZeKeR
Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I think the question that's worth asking with regards to tank, if if a siege crossbow has remotely enough kinetic energy or momentum to bust up an Abrams.

I mean, the Rheinmetall 120mm can shot a 10 pound depleted Uranium dart sabot at over a kilometer and a half per second (It has a kinetic energy of 5.7 megajules). And Modern tank armor is designed to defend against things like this. You're not gonna have luck with medieval siege weapons, nor are you going to have the accuracy to make aimed shots to try to muck up delicate things on the vehicle.

And really. Even if the Imperials managed to get their hands on anti tank guns, they'd still be at a significant disadvantage even on the defense. Simply because cannons and siege weapons are static. A formation of tanks can outmanuever them, or launch thrusts against the spread out guns trying to defend a wide area.
not to mention setting up takes a long time. its not like a 105 or a 155 that can either by simply pushed if it has wheels to its position or dragged by a vehicle. I believe it takes a day and a quarter just ot set up the trebuchet and that isn't saying that the whole freakin' thing can rotate in place. if their magic could remotely strengthen the machine into a magic railgun of some sort, it would be something, UNLESS the elven race or the empire could soup their bows into magic railguns capable of distorting a cloud in a single shot.

but if that were to happen, the projectile probably wont last to reach its intended target, let alone pierce it if it was that fast. unless their medieval counterpart of the 155 is a giant catapult, trebuchet or mangonel like what Longshanks did for fear and lulz, I guess they COULD possibly preset the ranges but at most its gonna be harassing the enemy. i did remember this was usually done by the rebels at convoys by indiscriminately bombarding them with mortars as they moved.