Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-24, 21:46   Link #626
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'll give Hikari some credit - He's a stand-up guy as they say. He doesn't like playing dirty. If he has problems with you, he'll tell it straight to your face, and he won't use slimy methods to get at you. If something manages to endear him to the land-people (especially his male peers amongst the land-people), it will be that.

As for Manaka, it was great to see her show some real backbone in this episode, in her trying her best to mix with the land-people, and with her backing up Hikari when he got into trouble.

Chisaki is interesting. While she seems to be harboring romantic feelings for Hikari, the way Chisaki talks about Manaka is... intriguing to me. To put it simply, it's almost like Chisaki has a crush on both of them. If so, that could be very interesting to watch play out!

While the xenophobia/racism (pick whichever term you think is best) in this show is a two-way street, I have to say that it seems worst on the land-people side.

Anyway, excellent Episode 4! This show is going just swimmingly well.
Wouldn't you say that tackling people who have their guard down is a cheap shot? A "dirty" tactic ? It's certainly not subtle or any kind of trickery, but I did find it funny for Hikari to talk about dirty tactics when in the past few episodes he's just out of nowhere attacked people.

Though do agree that his directness is what will likely endear him to the people in that class. And has the intelligence to learn from his mistakes and in the end start facing them.

I think if the xenophobia looks any worse from the land people's side it's just that there is more of them. Just more people who can be xenophobic. Manaka and Tsumugu are the exceptions on either side being the rare people really actively reaching out.