View Single Post
Old 2006-03-29, 12:35   Link #89
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Questions:
1) Are the song/music composers paid well?
2) How true is it that j-pop stars sing/compose for anime at a often rate? (My friend used Inuyasha as an example, as both BoA and Ayumi Hamazaki did about 2-3 songs for that anime).
3) How well are CG animators paid? (My friend claims it to be high...)
1. Since they write their own music, royalties can be great. Think of it this way: if your song is popular enough, your song is going to be published into karaoke. There's several hundred thousand yen in royalties from for that one song. Mobile phone ringtones? You get another royalty benefit from there as well. Simply put: if you have musical talent to write your own music composition and lyrics (note the difference between just lending your voice), the kickbacks that you get are enormous. It beats slaving yourself 40+ hours a week in a corporate environment, doesn't it? But then again, you have to prove yourself worthy to become popular, so it's a risky business.

2. Extremely likely if it is a prime-time anime like NARUTO, but highly unlikely if it is a late night program which the majority of anime are shown. Big name artists tied to major record labels wants to grab a larger audience - shows that air in prime time. They are not going to confine themselves to an anime that only hard-core otakus are going to watch.

3. Not as much as CG animators working at Pixar. I would say modestly at best. We have dozens of anime schools. There is practically an abundance of CG animators here in Japan. So much like any first world capitalist society, you need to stand out to keep your job. If you "just good," you can be easily be replaced by a younger person who is willing to take up the job for much lower pay than you. Or, they can just be outsourced to Taiwan or South Korea where it's even more cheaper.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote