View Single Post
Old 2010-03-22, 21:18   Link #859
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I can't really believe you found nothing interesting in episode 3. I'd agree with you on episode 2, that there was altogether too much fourth wall referencing, but these last two episodes have made it clear that the 'swords/enemies of the month' are a significant part of the content in this series, and I think each episode (even episode 2) has managed to deliver on that, hasn't it? I disagree that the series trying to base itself solely around continuous development of the main characters when from my perspective, every episode has been very conscious about presenting a complete and interesting story in itself. In episodes 2 and 3, those stories began with the introductions and ended with the deaths of Uneri and Meisai respectively.
If that is really what this show is about, then it'll be more boring for me since the concept was done so many times it's stupid to do it again and expect a masterpiece off it. I was rather amused by the dialogue in episode 1, even though it wasn't great, it wasn't bad either. And given episode 2 and 3, I still believe they're trying to put the focus more on the characters than the swords (or maybe that's just me, I find the latter idea terribly boring and uninteresting for a series).

Quote:
More importantly: given the poignancy of Meisai's death, I can't see how you could really think that this series' opponents are just 'monsters of the month' who are merely stepping stones for the main characters' development. Certainly the writers wouldn't devote so much time crafting Meisai's backstory, and portray her death as the culmination of something like 'fate', if this was truly the case, right? In every episode, I think the side and supporting characters are just as important as the recurring mains themselves. Considering that the original form of each episode was a novel, they almost have to be (while it might be okay for a single anime episode to focus entirely on the development of its main characters, in the case of an entire novel, the antagonists certainly must be enough of an entity in themselves to make the protagonist's triumph over them meaningful, don't you think?). Each episode in and of itself is a complete story; I think that's also enough to make the monthly release rate appropriate.
You seem not to be too familiar with the "monster of the day" story archetype, because that's actually what you just described. Of course, if it was done badly, I would have given up on the series already. If I haven't it's because it's not that bad and it somehow manages to keep it interesting despite the bland base.

Quote:
It's not that. In fact, I'm not even taking that into account until I've heard the full story. Shichika was totally willing to kill those two robbers even when they were no longer a threat and Togame had to actually explain why he shouldn't.
How is that different from the typical Tarzan boy story with a "civilized" female companion?

Quote:
But it is, I suppose, about the characters. Not Shichika. Maybe about Togame, long term. Taking it slowly. Mostly, though, it's about the antagonists. Who are those people, holding on to their swords with all they have? What do they hope to accomplish? Maybe that's why the first ninja was so boring. His motivation - money - was so mundane. So lacking in nobility.
Cue my opinion on monster of the day shows.

Quote:
WanderingKnight is doing it wrong. If you dislike the main character that much, you drop the show unless you are masochist.
I'm not a masochist, and I actually like watching anime, even if it's not that good. Out of the Winter season, I've only picked up three series, so dropping it would mean one less anime I would be watching.

Also there's this thing called "criticism". It doesn't mean I think this series is bad for anime standards. If it was I would've dropped it long ago.

Quote:
"Jungle boy" isn't that simple and that much of a jungle boy too if you pay attention to what he does and says.
Please show me an example.

Quote:
Actually the arguably second best show this season - Durararararararararararara bores me to tears literally.
If you really think that way then our opinions are so distant it's ridiculous to try and make a meaningful discussion out of it. Durarara is so good, so much better than this anime and that most, if not all the series we've seen last year it's not even funny.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote