Thread: Licensed Shiki
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-27, 21:45   Link #2165
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Finished it a few hours ago (and now I see some mentions of extra episodes that I haven't watched, so maybe finished isn't quite the right word) and want to get one thing off my chest:

Die, Seishin, you spineless, cowardly traitor! Die! And take Sunako with you to hell, will ya?

Ah, that felt nice. I don't know if it was intentional or not but I saw Seishin as the embodiment of pseudo-intellectual who always tries to see the situation through every viewpoint, never takes quick decisions and uses a lot of lofty phrases he doesn't really understand. Which would have been harmless enough, if he weren't playing with people's lives.

I loved the show's dark atmosphere and the OST but I am not too crazy about the plot. There is always a big problem with those town and villages where people die every day and no one finds it all that odd. The show tried really hard to draw a parallel between shiki and humans but didn't do it too well. It really bothers me when part of the fandom of such shows (cough, Buffy, cough) defends the supernatural killers with phrases like "well, humans can be complete monsters too". Yes, they can but generally the vast majority of humans do not murder for pleasure. If only a small percentage of shiki, vampires, werewolves or whatever supernatural creatures are in a given show bother to fight their nature, why should we blame the humans who fight back and kill them? If you have met ten shiki so far and all of them were killers, would you be inclined to believe the eleventh one when he claims he is actually a nice guy?

Anyway. grumbling aside, I haven't watched an anime series so quickly (in just a few days) since forever, so I enjoyed it overall. I am just sick of woobie vampires, so that's mostly my problem, not an objective problem of the show. I really liked Natsuno, Ritsuko and Toshio (only later on, he was a bit of a moron early on). Megumi and Tatsumi were interesting villains. Sunako...I am so tired of scary little girls, to be honest.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote