View Single Post
Old 2009-04-06, 18:42   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is the natural end-game of what I was calling "Shinbo-izing" a couple of years ago (director Shinbo and SHAFT). Prudently used, its a great tool for art-on-the-cheap. Bury the series in it and you begin hating everyone associated with the production.

Zetsubou's manga ... well, given the set-piece look of each frame of the comic, the process seemed to fit to some extent (though I got really tired of his idiotic face 'shopped in so often).

Moon Phase was one of the first shows to employ it all (early Shinbo) and used it fairly sparingly (except in the tv broadcast fight scenes where it was a "save the day" technique when outsourced animation came back a total failure and they had to do SOMETHING before the air date -- it was all replaced in the DVDs).

Negima!? .... my complaint with that series wasn't so much the art style or technique as with the storyline itself --- we can't get the damned original available story on anime but they went and did an "alternative nutball" plot. But yeah, the still shots got pretty old and annoying after a while.