View Single Post
Old 2012-08-23, 16:55   Link #367
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
The idea is that if a gene is dominant, it will be expressed more. Hence there are very few disadvantageous dominant genes simply because a disadvantageous gene will inevitably affect reproductive fitness in comparison to organisms without it. Maybe not in a few generations, since the environment plays a large part, but definitely over this amount of time.
Sorry i can't stand sloppy science, it's a pet pevee. I am takeing from the way you have both worded this statement and your last one that if a trait is common the gene is dominant, not that because a gene is dominant it is common. This is where I percive the flaw in your statement. Here are some examples of how dominant and recessive genes work.
Let B= brown eyes and b= Blue eyes and there are 3 people 1 who has blue eyes (bb) and 2 who has brown eyes (BB) and 3 who also has brown eyes (Bb).
any kids between 1 and 2 will always have brown eyes since they will always get a dominant brown eye gene, either (Bb) or (bB) on the other hand kids from 1 and 3 have a 50% chance of haveing a blue eye kid (Bb)(bb).

Now even if you remove all the people with brown eyes from the population so everyone is born with blue eyes, blue eyes is still a recessive gene and not a dominant one.

If this is not what you ment I apoligize it just was not worded well then. now back to more of the cute girls
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote