View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 11:14   Link #954
RainbowMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Somehow whether writing a script from scratch or doing an adaptation Hiroyuki Yoshino always manages to portray the most mustache twirling black evil villains imaginable with pretty much nothing in the way of sympathetic traits whatsoever. It's something that might have worked better in the 70s, but in this day and age where people expect some substance from antagonists, even if it's just gray area moralizing for the villains actions it's something of a justifiable criticism. Probably the most noticeable shortcoming of anything he's involved in for me besides rampant sexualization of characters we're expected to take seriously.

Fortunately I'd say Magi is getting off easy compared to how it would be if he wrote the series from scratch if his track record is anything to go by at all.
They were already like that in the manga though. Early evil villains in Magi were a joke. Fortunately they get better, starting with the next one actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This episode was just meant to properly introduce Morgiana's character so it's pretty unreasonable to expect more than that from it. The first few episodes only introduced Aladdin and Alibaba and didn't hint to any larger plot either, right? This episode was like that.
I don't think this was an introduction episode though. We already got properly introduced to Morgiana in episode two or three (sorry forgot which one). If anything it was more like a mini-arc of character development, so comparing it against the first episode would be stupid.

Comparing it with Alladin's arc is the more logical option. And this episode does pale a bit in comparison.

Last edited by RainbowMagnet; 2012-11-15 at 11:31.
RainbowMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote