View Single Post
Old 2013-01-20, 04:34   Link #889
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think the fact that otaku consumers (People who somehow can shell out that kind of money for anime) have different tastes is obvious and I am not confused about this. I am simply lamenting the current state of an industry that has become so insular that only these kinds of people are going to determine what gets made. I can hardly think of another entertainment industry which has chosen to become more insular instead of trying to appeal more to the general population.
This has been discussed in many threads before. "These kinds of people" (they're not a single solitary block with one united voice by any means) are going to determine what gets made for late-night TV just like late-night infomercial producers buy airtime for products they think can sell to people who are still up and watching at those hours. The shows that try to "appeal more to the general population" are not generally going to air at those sorts of ungodly hours in the first place. And the shows that get "mainstream viewership" in Japan are not the sort you're thinking of; you probably won't like many of them.

And honestly... I'm also not sure that a show that deals with so many complex sexual issues featuring characters at those ages is going to be a mainstream hit in many cultures, even if you think it's "creative", "imaginative", and "great". I think it's actually in a niche of its own (a niche you may perhaps find more appealing and "socially acceptable" based on your own criteria). I think that they made a show like this in the first place is testament to the industry still being willing to try things to reach out to different parts of the niche market (and in fact, there have been a good number of anime released in the last year that I feel would qualify for that statement).