View Single Post
Old 2013-07-06, 12:15   Link #1479
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Discussion moved from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryce
Touma's preaching is annoying because he does it everytime he faces someone, and even though he is a 16 years old kid making naive speech to religious extremists or people with strong convictions, Touma always win the argument. Not because what he said was relevant, but because he is the main character and he has to win. That's exactly why he is considered to be a Gary-Sue character.

Quote:
I would love for you to enlighten me. My point of view has few chances to change just by re-watching Index anime by myself.
Well for starters I don't think any character who loses as often as Touma does can be called a Gary Stu. He's just too weak. Sure he beats a lot of very strong opponents but every now and then he just runs into one that's too much for him and gets his ass kicked.

As for the arguments he has with his villains; I don't really see how that makes him a Gary Stu. Sure it's kind of annoying in the anime (it works well in the original LNs) but it's not that big of a deal.

As for why he always wins the arguments well two things 1. Do you really expect people who are trying to kill lots of people (or whatever the villain of the week is doing at the time) to be on the logical side of things? And 2. It's not like the villains accept that he wins the argument and give up.