View Single Post
Old 2010-04-29, 05:46   Link #3
Seiryuu

Thanks for the recommendation. Not sure I'd go with that one to be honest, since the thing ends with lots of people dying or going insane or both. Like I said, I'm looking for "redemptions" of the style, things that contain this sort of thing, with the man finding his love in the arms of another, not on account of rape or force but by her own will, but which still have a happy ending, where even though such horrible, shocking things happened the man still wound up with the girl, and again he got her not through force or deception but by truly winning her heart. From the instances I've seen, this generally goes along a couple of common paths:
1. The experience and shock nearly shatters the relationship, the guy can't bear to be around her, and though it's said that absence makes the heart grow fonder, the girl finds that actually absence forces the heart to realize how much it's lost and how much it means. This usually happens when the revelations were relatively innocent, more infatuation than an actual affair.
2. The experience, or some other event, changes the guy, and since the girl is close to him, she sees the change every day; combined with concern for him, her impression of his changed attitude starts to shift things, giving the guy another chance at love. Often, in this case, the guy finds someone else too for a time at least, at about the same time as the girl starts to develop feelings for him.
3. The girl had actually set the guy up. Generally occurring when the guy is far too wishy-washy or concerned about ruining the relationship, the girl may get desperate and resort to anything from staging a date to making love to a friend or group in order to force him to take action. In this case, the girl may escalate the incident hoping that he'll jump in, and afterward both sides have a great deal of trouble.
There's plenty of other ways this can turn out, but the main thing is that the two primary characters are close and so conflict is bound to continue, so cutting off here is cheap and frustrating. I've had too many of these and want to see more of the sorts where this is a part of the story and is eventually resolved rather than it being the tragic end.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote