View Single Post
Old 2011-02-03, 03:59   Link #8
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
I think the argumentation was that if news got out that the TSAB's finest were sent after the guys who killed innocent civilians on Ruwella and Easter and utterly failed, the populace would question the point of spending their taxes on the Bureau (who are supposed to protect them), BetrayerS-style. Or something.
Pretty unrealistic. When cops get shot do people go 'the police are totally ineffective, let's disband them'?

I mean if you look at real life, militaries constantly hype up the threat posed by foreign powers to get more funding, and it works (see the UK regarding Russia now and for the last two hundred years). People want more protection when they're in danger, not less.

And in-series we know that stuff like the Book of Darkness has caused the TSAB considerable problems, including the loss of ships, before. I don't think the setting is so safe that losses will be a shock to the populace. Midchilda is covered in ruined cities, and their civilization is built on the ruins of the Belkans'. Those kind of things affect cultural consciousness; I would expect the populace to be remarkably stoic if anything.