Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-24, 18:46   Link #12699
NameGoesHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
So renewables which cost a multiple of the market price for electricity are low cost? I cannot agree.
Feed-in tariff. It is subsidized, but that does not change its designation. The point is that the operators would run the plant at full capacity whenever possible. I did not make up the definition. The plants that Wiki lists are by no means an exhaustive listing. It is merely what most plants of one type fall into because of the way the plant operates. Nuclear being considered baseload does not mean it can't operate as a peaker plant. It would simply wear down the equipment, and be unprofitable. I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Quote:
Economics

Power plants are designated baseload based on their low cost generation, efficiency and safety at rated output power levels. Baseload power plants do not change production to match power consumption demands since it is more economical to operate them at constant production levels. Use of higher cost combined-cycle plants or combustion turbines is thus minimized, and these plants can be cycled up and down to match more rapid fluctuations in consumption. Baseload generators, such as nuclear and coal, often have very high fixed costs, high plant load factor and very low marginal costs. On the other hand, peak load generators, such as natural gas, have low fixed costs, low plant load factor and high marginal costs.[5] Typically these plants are large and provide a majority of the power used by a grid. Thus, they are more effective when used continuously to cover the power baseload required by the grid.
Quote:
to match power consumption demands
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
while lots of the energy is merely produced twice as the planning and control of peak and intermediate is not able to keep up. That's not what I'd call "balanced". (But maybe I'm misreading because of my bad English?)
I'm not sure what this means. But please remember that power lines don't end at political borders, and that plant operators will have attempted to forecast times where their renewables operate above capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
The whole point is that solar and windmill, because they by no means can qualify for peak, are treated as baseload.

Maybe they should have created a new category especially for them: erratic.

The not so funny thing, is that to ensure a baseline supply from windmills, supplementary coal (=> baseline), and gas (=>peak) power plants have to be built. So, in the end, you get to build (and pay for) twice the virtual capacity you need (and anyway, you'll never get that double effective capacity).
Word you're looking for is stochastic. But its use is limited.

Last edited by NameGoesHere; 2011-03-24 at 19:04.