View Single Post
Old 2009-03-10, 08:16   Link #122
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
lol, surely it won't last only 12 months (Obama isn't a miracle maker, and by the looks of it, it's not happening), but otaku aren't very practical to begin with when it comes to spending, so I doubt it'll have THAT big of an impact. At least in Japan, the U.S. market was artificially inflated anyway. That's also where the economic downturn will hit the hardest.
Obama can't even do a mahou shoujo transformation but the economy will simply start growing again when the economy is ready to do so. Predictions are a tricky thing, especially when dealing with the future, and historically, economists never did a great job in that department. And those who know best (those who actually do science) don't appear on TV because they know how little they know. At the moment doom scenarios are just en vogue because they make you look so gar while doubting that the end of the world has come makes you look like a sissy. In any case, 12, 120, or 1200 months of recession, that doesn't change my argument which has two parts after all.

But here and now, the average otaku will have to cut down on spending considering they are already spending most of their disposable income on anime goods.

As for TRL's comparison. It seems that the average otaku doesn't care much about big budget animation or things that look like big budget animation. And I agree even though my tastes aren't necessarily the same. And I said it before, Miyazaki is a complete different world from the industry that produces the bulk of anime discussed here. So how he fares or what his productions cost isn't really relevant when discussing the future of anime.