Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 01:02   Link #216
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Wow, all the fanboys are really in love with Taichi. I think they need to turn this into a BL story (like Taichi x some boy in the club or something) so the boys can love it even more. I was going to watch this but it seems my poor boy Arata's screen time is reduced to non-existent. Even the OP suggests that Arata is no more. It's a damn shame. This @#$% writer deserves to be French fried.
Um...Arata's OP scenes weren't that different from season 1's, so really, it only seems to suggest he'd only get the same amount of screen time as season 1.
Quite honestly, as much as I want more screen time for Arata, the lack of screen time only makes it that much better when he does show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
This second episode further affirms my view of Sumire as a product of today's fast-paced consumerist culture, a culture that perceives things like beauty and love as a commodities and as a conveniences. She's a deliberate contrast to the traditional Japanese values that karuta itself represents. Watching that contrast being expressed so powerfully here is interesting on its own, but this had other things going for it.

Once again, I find myself drawn to Sumire's character. Her growth in these first two episodes has been rather impressive. What's worthy of note here is that she was already sufficiently immersed in the mindset needed to appreciate karuta and the hundred poems right from the start. Her only problem lay in letting go of a few old habits. In retrospect, the clash between her and Kana should have been expected due to their vastly differing notions of "beauty". All-in-all, I have nothing against her single-minded pursuit of Taichi, rather, I think it's refreshing. I just don't like how she has to be rude about it.

Now, my only wish is that the story gives the other guys, aside from Taichi, some much deserved love. Right now, all we have of Nikuman and Tsukue in this season are superficial at best.
I must be watching the wrong show, because Sumire's view on love and beauty is something deeply rooted in the 100 poems (note: I barely know anything about the poems, but vaguely know that's the probaly what the contents within the poems are about).
The fact that Sumire immediately understood the contents of poem compared to every other member (excluding Kanade?) is proof of that.
Competitive karuta (which they are playing) is a modern thing which is the contrast to the traditional value of beauty, grace and love that the poems expressed.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote