View Single Post
Old 2009-03-05, 01:31   Link #26
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
wasn't this basically a "we know everybody didn't love jun maeda's script so those that want to make a game not featuring nagisa do it" kind thing? I mean for me at least I just felt it was probably doujinshi quality, compared to what the original clannad team did, but then again I could be totally wrong.
No it's the other way around. Jun Maeda wanted to write something that he wants to write instead of what the company wanted ie so he doesn't have to take sales and fan preference into consideration, and after Clannad he ask the boss and got the go ahead and hence wrote Tomoyo After. And Tomoyo After is no way "doujinshi quality", it is basically as long as the Clannad After Story, and combined with the Tomoyo arc from Clannad forms just as complete of a story about life (though a completely opposite take on it) as Nagisa's route in Clannad.

Tomoyo After is Maeda Jun's rawest emotional piece of work to date. If you really want to see how his brain ticks, that's the game to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
I did always feel it was sort of a "Take That!" to people who didn't like the Nagisa scenario, given TA's ending, though...
No, compared with Tomoyo After that's just commercial interest rearing its ugly head in Clannad. They requested Maeda Jun to write a fairly standard anime-type mircale happy ending to Clannad, which apparently Maeda Jun never took a particular liking to - he had expressed his distaste in the "somehow through lots of hardwork everything works out in the end" type of cheap miricales in the stories. TA is what he really feels that people should learn and he was able to express it without the restrictions. There's no "reaction" motivation in TA on how Clannad was received.

It's really trivialising the message in TA if all you can see is the "depressing" part, there's some serious lessons in life to be learnt in TA, more so than Clannad. Clannad still has too many elements of escaptist fantasy in it like previous Key work, whereas TA toss them out the window. In terms otf maturity and meaning I rate TA over Clannad anyday.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2009-03-05 at 01:42.