View Single Post
Old 2012-07-30, 05:47   Link #15
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

While I agree that one can say Satoshi is "jealous" of Houtarou's ability, I think it's more complicated than that. He did not say he want to beat Houtarou on figuring out the mystery, he want to beat him in "solving" the case. It's kind of like a detective and a police in a mystery novel I think. We usually see the police got frustrated by having to follow whatever the detective deduced to catch the culprit. However, the police could and usually tried to solve the case by just catching the culprit. After all, it didn't matter if they could figure out who and how they committed the crime or not as long as they caught the right person. They can just ask them afterward. In this case, as Satoshi said at the end, it's practically impossible to figure out who is Juumoji. It's much easier to catch them in the act. Being a database, this is his forte, he believe. He is not trying to be a better detective. He is trying to be a police that beat the detective by catching the culprit even before the mystery is figured out.

On the episode itself, I think this is great. This is back to what Hyouka is: a mystery. There are three scenes that I especially like.

First is when Houtarou pointed out the pattern. I like the "dynamic" of the scene when Satoshi and Mayaka immediately applied their knowledge and skill to figure out more info.

The second one is when Mayaka asks Houtarou what he think of a story that goes "I just want to kill according to ABC's,"
Spoiler for A little spoiler for The A.B.C. Murders:

Looking at Mayaka's reaction, I think she realize once again that Houtarou is really good at this. Of course when she pushed him for a reason why he want to solve it and his respond is because Eru is not someone he can ignore, that's a great scene as well.

The third one is when Eru decide against asking Toogaito once more to make sure he write about the Classic Club. Now that is her style. She choose to trust people. Going by how much the classic club was mentioned, we can't say it give her a great result. However, unlike Houtarou who blackmail him and get a raised eyebrow from Toogaito just by mentioning him or Irisu who lie to him and get an unpleasant face from Houtarou just by mentioning her, Eru's relationship with Toogaito is intacted or even improve.

Other things worth mentioning is Houtarou's trading is still continue. I wonder how this will end and if it will converge with the Juumoji case or Mayaka's situation in the Manga club. Also, what did Satoshi figured out about Irisu at the magic show?

Can't wait for the next episode.