Thread: Akb48
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 10:35   Link #268
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
With most people here having limited knowledge of the idol entertainment system (and I think they haven't even set their foot on Japan), fed by misinformation from second-hand sources, sensationalist websites or complete critics of the culture (and sorry, some people wrongly get their ideas about Japan only through anime or manga), I don't know how hard for you to imagine that it's a very complex world demanding a huge cultural leap from a closed Western mentality of black-and-white and an open mind to understand.

Put yourself in her shoes, know how painful it could be and she's crying for real, being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, for crissakes -- it's hard for her whether she should keep silent and let the assholes do more damage or speak up before they do.

Personally, as someone who grew up in a multi-cultural setting, I am very disgusted by how people misinterpret things at whatever they see without getting the proper facts straight.
Are you saying that in modern Japanese culture, it's perfectly normal for an adult woman to be ashamed if somebody finds out she's spending the night with her boyfriend? 'Cause that's certainly not the impression I get from mainstream Japanese literature or manga aimed at functional adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Then what ideas would you like to propose? Abolish the entire system?

Trying to impose Western ideals and expectations of the "politically-correct" and "acceptable" onto Japanese society is like cooking Spam over a lightbulb.
I don't think there's anything politically correct about saying, "It's sexist and objectifying for the management to try to control the sexuality of members, especially when that management commodifies that sexuality with gravure photos and videos of the girls prancing around in bikinis or lingerie."

I'll even acknowledge that the rule against romance made sense when the group first started and all the members were young teens -- makes total sense that they wouldn't want a sex scandal involving a 14 year old girl. But the original members are in their 20s now; they're adults, and the management should treat them that way.

Even if we accept that management didn't pressure Minegishi to shave her head, they still demoted her, just like they did Sayaka Akimoto when she was in the same situation. That sends an awful message to girls, both in the band and in the general public, about what happens to women who dare control their own sexuality.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote