Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Free!
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-29, 14:30   Link #1476
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
There's no use supplying with you any sort of definition because what's great to you isn't great to me. Like I said, IMO Free! doesn't have great personal growth. Rin is never compelled to change on his own, only with a continual and strong impetus from his friends (In fact, you could just say he simply reverted to how he was when he was a kid), Makoto and Nagisa are completely static, and Rei did have some but was shafted as a 5th wheel character. Haru's lone moment of growth was that he wanted to swim with his friends, and that's as simplistic and uninteresting a story that you could write. Lazy, safe, and tame. Don't like it.
Man, I just explained how Makoto wasn't a static character two posts ago. The only static character in the series is Nagisa, and that's because there wasn't anything wrong with him to begin with. (Though there are things that a hypothetical second season could do with him.) This is also the first time you've given any concrete criticism to the actual events of the show--namely, in regards to Rin. I actually agree that I would have liked to see stronger effort on his half when it came to meeting his friends halfway, but that doesn't mean he wasn't developed. (I also had my issues with said development, but that's a different kettle of fish.)

Free wasn't for you and that's fine, but it's better to be specific in why that's the case than speaking in gross generalities.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote