Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 12:09   Link #411
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Wrong thread for this, but...

Just how bigger the linux community will be in a year, now that valve release Steam on linux((not so) closed beta test for now, but still)
It can be difficult to remember that geeks are a very small minority of the populace, and that linux will never have much support outside that circle. I don't see Steam on linux changing that.

That said, having fantasies-to some extent-is healthy, so I suppose there could be worse fantasies than thinking linux will ever be a mainstream product.

As far as ads in apps goes, I do think MS should have kept them out of their core free apps, with the possible exception of apps like Music, which have a payment option. For the record, as a long time Zune-pass subscriber, which transitioned over to Music, I get no ads if I'm signed in. The other apps do not (for now), have a "paid" version, however.

That said, with ads being the revenue stream for so many things on the internet today, I suspect their inclusion is far less of a deal than what the geek community-which is known for exaggerated outrage-might think.

As for this idea that you need a touch screen to use Windows 8, I chalk up to typical aforementioned exaggerated outrage. I don't have any Windows 8 (or phone) touch devices, and use the OS just fine. Frankly, I think touchscreen desktops and laptops are incredibly stupid, so manufacturers that seem to be doubling down on "all in" design with their new Windows 8 computers seems incredibly fool-hardy. The OS works just fine without touch, and in my view, touch is incredibly awkward when you are pushing parallel to the horizontal plane, rather than perpendicular to it. Pushing a sub-par experience just for the hell of it further shows how incredibly brain dead the PC OEM market is, which is why-I'm sure-so many of us "geeks" will continue building our own computers.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2012-11-11 at 12:21.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote