Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-11, 20:20   Link #417
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
To be fair, 95 was revolutionary for its time and XP was the best operating system I ever used, but the rest is quite accurate (P.S. it's hard to tell if you dislike Vista or 8 more with your wording).
Vista was the most frustrating of all, but since I do not have 8 yet on a machine I have to work in, I can not be definitive about it... nonetheless observing how friends are frustrated by it, as well as it "feature" list, I think they will end up even worse then vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Just took a better look at Windows 8, and it looks like a kiddy playground that wants to be like its AppleOS daddy. Seriously, how about making an interface that's easy and reliable to use instead of shoving so much crap up its bum it has to live in the bathroom?
But windows did copy a lot of MacOS X look-and-feel already in 7. The problem is the windows architecture is not scaled like *nix OSs, kernel -> low-level API -> OO-API -> GUI. Both MacOS and iOS share the first two and a lot of the third, while the GUIs are totally different (the same is true to a great extend with linux and android)... in windows everything is mangled together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The first 3 versions were nothing more than a graphical DOS shell, but only when 3.1 and later 3.11 came Windows became viable as a business OS, but paled in comparison with OS/2's stability.
Technically, windows was an extension to MS-DOS, until XP switched to NT kernel, which was better at the time, but not extensible (see above why).

Also IMHO, it was not that 3.x were groundbreaking or anything, but MS did a lot of smart marketing decisions to dominate the OS market, while its competitors were literally jerking off and free OS development did not had today's internet as well as was locked in legal battles with universities and research labs.

Quote:
Win95's user interface was unusual at the time, with the Start button that marked itself as different from its rivals. Win98 had a slight flaw, an alleged privacy intrusion feature that was built in until it was replaced by Win98SE, which was better.
That stupid start button... how much I still hated it

Quote:
As much as I admire Linux for its open-source stability (thus should be great for businesses, schools and governments needing to save much on enterprise-wide OS upgrades, and by extension avoid being harassed by the BSA) and OSX for its clean interface, I've been so grounded into Windows and gaming (and they're so intertwined ever since) for so long that it's still hard for me to let go of Win7 (and as it's widespread, fixing PCs that uses it is part of my job), even if Win8 looks enticing for an upgrade due to the less-than-demanding system requirements rather than the utterly confusing Metro interface (which is now becoming a butt of jokes).

Now going back to topic, I'm sure there will be adware applications no matter what OS we use.
MacOS since it switched to the NeXTSTEP kernel is the programmer's paradise, clean, scalable and thoroughly documented... plus it lets you use most non-GUI software without any modification and over an X11-shell all GUI software. The same can be said for most *nix GUIs, but for the users things are usually more complicated. Windows on the other hand, are a nightmare to program and the later version to use too.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote