View Single Post
Old 2015-01-24, 02:19   Link #191
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

It all depends on what the purpose of the thread was in the beginning.

Just taking a quick look at the OP of the thread and I immediately find:

Quote:
Some things to remember when posting:
  • The purpose of this thread is to post images and discuss things directly related to said images.
  • You may not carry on discussions related to shipping, pairings, or upcoming fanfiction/doujin in Image Threads
  • We do not allow the sharing of high-resolution art-book and untranslated manga/novels scans or CG taken directly from games.
  • You should give appropriate credit to the creator of the image whenever possible.
  • Please use space-separated thumbnails for very large images; do not post large images in-line.
  • Do not "hide" images behind old-style spoiler tags.
So some discussion is allowed. The question then becomes: how much?

I thought that there was roughly equal amounts of people responding to images and people making off-topic posts. The problem was that there was more of these posts than actual images.

Roughly 20% of the posts were images; much too low. This also means that about 40% of posts were getting to be completely off-topic.

There were also problems of people posting images that some people couldn't see as well as not hiding spoiler or large images behind tags.

The problem of moderation is also noted. My idea is to make some trusted users who frequent these particular subforums and threads into temp moderators. That should ease the workload; even if site policy regarding this would need to be written from the ground up as well as temp mods not being a normal function for the site itself or in the staff's interests....

Or we could flat out ban any text only posts; making it mandatory to post a relevant image if continuing a conversation.

We could also work on promoting the social group as a place for general chat as opposed to topic and subject specific threads.

Just throwing some ideas around here. We've lost 3 rather important threads in this subforum for conversation and I don't want to lose any more.