View Single Post
Old 2011-05-11, 23:16   Link #22742
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
No Twilight, I was saying the fact that there are supernatural rules made to help pinpoint the culprit easier, that technically is a form of supernatural power helping the detective. If there is a house, that literally has 20 secret passages, and some ''absoloute'' power made only 1 count, that would be fiction and mystery regardless of how realistic the narrative and story is. I'm not saying Van dines and Knox's rules suck, I think they're very reasonable and make perfect sense, but in real life they just wouldn't work. Hence, they can technically be fantasy.
Uh, no shit?

It's not fantasy in that sense because there are rules. Fantasy doesn't adhere to any rules and makes no promises to be fictional. Fantasy and Fiction are not synonymous. Moreover, these rules do not count as supernatural because they do not help the detective in their deduction processes. The detective is not helped in any way nor is the world inside the narrative touched by any sort of miracle; it is the narrative being crafted in a way for the Reader. They're two entirely different things, and to argue otherwise is to admit that one does not understand what the rules of Knox and Vine are actually saying.

Quote:
Since servants can't be the culprit, due to the rules, that makes a supernatural force make it able to confirmed that, unless their job as a servant is questionable, they are not the culprit. My point is that these rules themselves make mystery unreal, no matter how justifiable they are, they are a supernatural set of rules made to prevent supernatural(or anti-climactic, stupid events) stuff from happening that can ruin the heart of the mystery.
The Detective does not know this, and a good mystery must still explain why it cannot be the detectives, instead of "I don't need to say." A good mystery is a puzzle where there is only one possible solution given the evidence. The rules are just crutches of reasoning that can be bent and broken if necessary; guidelines to keep the Reader from engaging in unnecessary insane logic.

Quote:
Erika is Bernkastel's piece, so under this theory she's basically the detective that the internet theorists added to their forgery. So she does represent the internet, but only indirectly through Bernkastel. The goats are just personifications of the countless theories that the Witch Hunters created.
OH FUCK BERN IS THE INTERNET?

No wonder she's so damn evil, this explains everything.