View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 23:47   Link #74
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
I don't think Sumeragi started this topic for getting a way for Japan to survive defeat in anyway. I think she simply wants to experiment with a stronger, better prepared Japan that can participate in a joint invasion with Germany into Soviet Union. That won't translate into Axis victory, but can surely deliver hell for the Soviets, and probably will drag the war longer for a couple of years.

It's already weekend in GMT+7, so I guess she'll show us that Nomonhan report today...
Well, if the Soviet Union had been defeated in WW2, I'd say that would basically be an Axis victory. There's no way the rest of the Allies could have mounted an invasion of continental Europe against the full strength of Nazi Germany.

Though, that said, a victory for Germany might not necessarily be a victory for Japan. It would be somewhat difficult for Germany to help Japan's war effort. Furthermore, a victorious Germany mightn't even care about Japan.

I think another interesting counterfactual might be the what if of "What if Isolationists had won the US elections in 1936/1940" and so had sent no lend-lease, didn't intervene in China, and didn't embargo Japan. I doubt the allies could have kept up without the "arsenal of democracy" supplying them.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote