View Single Post
Old 2012-06-19, 04:14   Link #1054
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Dads get woken up by the kids too, Geez. And DVR's do exist in Japan.
Yes, but this is rating we are talking about, it's number of household that are tuned in at that time "watching" not DVRing or other forms of recording. Those are not part of rating and shares surveys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As, I'm sure, do households with more than one TV.

I just wish I could find the actual statistics for Japanese television "penetration" rates. It seems like the only data on television ownership these days are published in proprietary market research reports. Most of the public data are way out of date. Still I tried to make a few "back of the envelope" estimates.

The one public source comes from way back in 1997 and reported a figure of just under 700 televisions per 1000 people. Applying that proportion to the 2010 census data, which reports an average of just under 2.5 persons per household, suggests the average Japanese household owns 1.75 television sets. The actual per-capita figure is probably larger than 700 compared to fifteen years ago, so televisions per household could be averaging close to, or even over, two. Given the high proportion (31% in 2010) of single-person households in aging Japan that probably own only one or two sets, the average household with kids might have three or more televisions.

Oh, and we are talking about Sunday mornings after all, when dads being awakened by their offspring is a more common occurrence.

Agree, multiple TV in household would skew the rating and share. But then again when there is a spike it means some other adult-oriented programs like news, variety shows, drama would dip in rating.

I mean considering that the "total" TV in use for a time slot usually don't fluctuate too much, some of those adult programs would have to suffer, unless you really believe that almost 1-2% of adults simply decided get up early to watch Uchuu Kyoudai,

Personal I still think that dad would rather watch comedy shows or news in the morning slot, which they most likely made it a habit, than the station that is traditionally use it as childern's anime slot at the time.