View Single Post
Old 2008-06-13, 17:52   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Photoshop vs. GIMP

Greetings all,

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed in various threads, but there has never been a definitive discussion examing the two and perhaps more importantly, going between the two. The closest thing I could find was a discussion comparing OpenCanvas to Photoshop.

I think that everyone here knows what Photoshop is. GIMP is a free, open-source competitor to Photoshop that, in spite of its not-so-catchy name, is rising in popularity.

Photoshop is something of an industry standard, and many of us have spent a lot of time learning how to use it for even basic tasks. However, GIMP's cost of absolutely nothing makes it very appealing when one considers that Photoshop is an incredibly pricey program.

I'm a Photoshop user who isn't pleased with Photoshop's performance under Mac OS X and is very tempted and curious by the fact that GIMP is free. Before I go cluttering up my system with something that I may find unusable, I'd like to ask the opinion of GIMP and GIMP/Photoshop dual users - does GIMP really feel like a poor man's Photoshop? Is it roughly the same, if not better? Stability- and resource-wise how do you find that GIMP compares with Photoshop? To what level of users would you recommend GIMP to (beginner graphic artists, intermediate, advanced, etc.), if at all?

Thanks in advance!