View Single Post
Old 2011-02-05, 13:20   Link #21
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Okay, who started the debate of good points without me?

Like I've been saying, I'm really against 2 separate themes; if Harper Lee and Shakespeare were to enter this competition, they'd be stifled by the fact that they can write about one thing but not the other. That's exactly my point; if we separate the themes, half the people will never see the 2nd theme brought back. Unification allows everyone to write about the theme at some point if they wish to do so.

That being said, I'm also against the idea of a coin flip. Felix made some solid points in that luck should not decide between the two winners; you may trust me to an extent but it's quite true that I could easily rig the toss to work in my favour. I'm not saying I would, but it's certainly a possibly that can't be overlooked. My suggestion is to have a small challenge between the two winners to decide who picks the next theme, like a riddle or tiny writing challenge. The other person doesn't necessary lose, they just don't get to pick the next theme. They can take pride in knowing that they still won in that month.

Having a theme cannot be helped. I've entered competitions where there was no theme set, and my goodness was it busted. The judges could be insanely biased by picking something they like over something with quality, and the fact is that when you're granted limited omnipotence with your writing, you will get writer's block in some way. Happens to me EVERY time this rule is set. We can keep it organized by having one theme; should people want to enter or not is not our concern.

That 3 votes point is quite a good one, felix. My main guess is that people are still composing. My entry was somewhat rushed to clear up space for my other projects and whatnot, but we should consider that everyone has their own writing speed and free time. The first week of entries has not even ended yet and we have a TON of views; something is happening.

In the rare case that we do only get a few entries, I'll set a certain variable that only allows 1 vote per person for that month.

Any other concerns, folks? I'm glad we're sorting these out.