View Single Post
Old 2012-06-23, 07:13   Link #2088
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalStar View Post
I do. (And I'm not a fantasy player any more since I'm marking it now.) Unpredictability between top level characters are fine,
So do you like unpredictability between the top level characters more than predictability between the top level characters? If so, then you probably do find unpredictability inherently exciting... as long as it's over a match that matters to you (obviously you're not going to care about matches that don't matter to you, period).

The newbie approach (as outlined by Sackett) would create more unpredictability amongst the top level characters too.

The reason for this is that newbies don't have well-established strength levels yet, whereas girls in their 2nd year in ISML tend to have this (the only thing that usually shifts this is a currently airing anime featuring one of the top girls - so Eucliwood is now stronger and can make things more exciting, but the other top girls in Nova all have fairly static strength levels).

So when two of Aria, Erio, Inori, and the Haganai girls go head-to-head, there's some real doubt as to who's going to win the match. But Kanade vs. Charlotte, or Kuroneko vs. Yuri or Yui, is very predictable. So by having those 2nd year girls in Nova, you make the top level more predictable as well.

From the highest tier to the lowest tier, Nova would be more unpredictable if it was only ISML newbies in it. And that would be of great benefit to Nova, imo.

When you consider all the benefits that come with the Nova = Newbie approach (many of which Sackett lined out very compellingly, imo), and when you consider all the inherent structural weaknesses of the current approach (as Sackett and I have both pointed out), it honestly seems very clear to me which approach would be the better one for ISML to go with.

Well, unless people here really want the next Kanade to languish pointlessly in Nova for two whole years, likely never getting to compete head-to-head with strong and popular vets while she's at her peak...